Friday, August 15, 2008

Unselfish Act Of Kindness

Every mom has bragging rights with her children, no question. I feel it’s important for parents to speak highly of their children’s accomplishments’. Of course, as parents we are always proud of our children. We love them unconditionally without doubt and do everything in our power to provide a loving environment, and raise them to be the best person they can be. You expect your child to be polite, make good grades, and the list goes on and on. Even so, as a parent, you experience moments that brings tears to your eyes when your child demonstrates a true reflection of their character, and you know they are becoming the person you have worked so hard to raise. I wanted to share the incredible act of kindness I witnessed from my son this past week.

My son is the typical teenage boy. He is enjoying his summer vacation staying up late, playing games, swimming, eating, and running around with his buddies; eating some more, sleeping in, and eating even more!! There is no reason why he should not enjoy his summer vacation doing as he wishes (within reason). It all goes back to the motto, “work hard, play hard”. He did amazingly well during the school year and is an all-around good kid. So, of course he deserves to “play hard”, right? YES!

Well, school will be starting very soon, I figured Jayce would want to enjoy his last week of doing his “own thing”. Yet, he decided to volunteer this week at Vacation Bible School. All week he woke up at 5:30 in the morning, without complaining, to arrive early and assist at VBS. When I would pick him up later in the afternoon, he would excitingly tell me about the day’s events. He helped out with the pre-school age children and had a blast doing so! Earlier, I spoke with the Youth Director on the phone and she kept telling me what a “FINE YOUNG MAN” Jayce is and what a joy it was with him volunteering. My heart melted… my son willingly committed himself to helping others and gave his best effort. It was such an unselfish act because he could have easily done his “own thing”. He has such a great heart and soul… I’m very proud of my kiddo!