Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Travel Tuesday

Linderhof Palace: Oberammergau, Germany
Part Two
As I mentioned in my previous Travel Tuesday Post, I cannot articulate enough the calmness and beauty of the atmosphere in Bavaria. Being in Germany was far more than I could have ever expected or dreamed of. This vacation was beyond my highest expectations. While in Germany we did many things around the resort that I will touch on in further post. Additionally, we went on some day trips offered by the resort then we ventured out on our own while renting a car. The vacation was splendid!

I must say, visiting the castles in Bavaria is a wonderful reminder of quintessential girlhood, It brought back many memories of dressing up and wearing a tiara while imagining being a princess, and the desire of living in a castle with beautiful gardens and enchanted forest!!
The first of the three castles in Bavaria that we visited was the Linderhof Palace. Although it was the smallest of the three castles built by King Ludwig II, it was our favorite.

This picture and the one below is the surrounding area that leads to Linderhof Palace, while walking to the Palace, the atmosphere is best described as the utmost ease and tranquility known.
I loved all the hidden small pocket streams of water. The sounds were so refreshing!

Upon entering the Palace with a tour guide, we were told that pictures were not allowed, but I managed to get a few. Not the greatest images, but good enough that you can get the idea. This statue is in the main entrance of the Palace.

This image is from the room known as the hall of mirrors, and was the King’s reading room due to all the candles. I can’t remember exactly the total amount of candles the guide mention, but it was in the thousands range.

The tour guide mentioned that there was over 5 kilograms (about 11 pounds) of gold within the Palace, but in my opinion, I felt the inside of this castle was a bit over the top!! However, this was King Ludwig’s favorite castle of the three he built. He spent most of his time at Linderhof, it was the only one that was finished to completion before he died.

This image is of BJ and Jayce near the steps of the front entrance of the Palace. The image below is the view while looking outward from the palace… Unbelievable!! Can you imagine this being your front lawn!?!



I tried to capture some images without the entire tourists, but this shot was not going to have tourist in it… it was impossible! Never the less, it is still incredible!

On the hour, the fountain erupts for approximately 10 minutes or so. It was very awe-inspiring, to say the least.

I captured this shot before the fountain stopped. I have more images to share from the gardens (the back lawn of the Palace), so check back next week….