Monday, November 3, 2008

Dumpster Diving

This morning I had to run some errands so Lana and I headed out the door, after locking the door, I decided to take some trash to the big dumpster. I was holding Lana in my arms and I went to use the foot release that opens the lid, and it did not work.

Oh, Yuck!

I did not want to touch the lid. So, I was trying desperately to minimize how much I was going to touch this dumpster. As I was using the very tips of my fingers to open the lid as quickly as I could and drop the trash in, my keys went in the dumpster, all the way to the bottom!

Oh, Gross!

Of course, my house is locked so I decided to ask one of my neighbor’s f0r assistance, and have her hold the baby while I figure out a way to get my keys. I go over to our outside storage and grab a shovel. I walk back over to the dumpster, which is as tall as me, and I’m looking at this trash dumpster with repugnance. I was feeling utterly mortified with the idea of having to dig for my keys.

At this point, my neighbor offers for me to get a stool that is on her porch to help so I’m not eye level with all the nasty bugs flying around. I proceed over to her house to grab this stool, and as I’m walking back towards the trash dumpster, I see a maintenance guy driving by. I stop him and he gets out of the vehicle and informs me that he does not speak English. It’s almost like I’m playing charades with him because I’m acting like I’m driving a car and trying to show him that my keys were in the bottom of the dumpster. He grabs another garden tool from his truck and is trying to help me get the keys.

After a couple of minutes another person comes outside and asks if everything is ok. She walks over to us and gets up on the stool and says, “What the hell, I have not had a shower yet!” Then she dives head first into the dumpster and grabs my keys!!!

OH MY GOODNESS!

No Kidding-she went head first!! I could not believe it, but I was so glad that it was not me!!

I went back to my house and cleaned up before leaving and felt so thankful that someone came to my rescue!!!

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!