Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Spook-House Thrills

My mom’s comment brings me to spook-house memories of Halloween. By the way, Mom thanks for the laugh and also for being so great!! Of course, from reading my mom’s comment you can see that it was a tradition for my family to provide all the spook-house thrills which also included the preparations of decorating, costume designs, building of the spook-house and so on. If you remember in my previous post about Miss Piggy I have a very large family that is extremely close.

Remembering back… after I had volunteered my mom and told her about it, I remember the next day when I came home from school, me and my cousin Sammy walked in the house and I noticed my mom holding this really pretty dress that I had never seen before. As a child, this dress was beautiful to me and so elegant. It was a slim fitting long white gown that had beautiful, shiny sequence along the wrist and bottom hem of the dress, and I believe also around the collar. My mom smiles at us and tells me and my cousin to go outside and roll the dress around in the dirt. My cousin and I look at each other WIDE eyed and are like, what? My mom said it again and added, “Get it as dirty as you can!” And we were like, OK!! We grabbed the dress, ran outside, and rolled it around in the dirt, smeared leaves all over it, and were stomping on it. Sammy grabbed one end and I grabbed the other and we were trying to rip it apart...all the while, giggling our heads off! (Later, I learned that my mom picked up this dress from a consignment shop so that she could make her costume for Halloween.)

Anyway, we look over and my Aunt Louella, my cousin Billy, and my Mom are dragging HUGE cardboard pieces into the yard and begin to spray paint them black. Other family members start arriving with more decorations to send over to the spook-house on Halloween; this lasted for a few days as everyone was busy planning and scheming. I have very mischievous family members.

Halloween day after school I see my mom getting all dressed up as a dead bride that rose from the grave. She looked so spooky with her blacked out teeth, crazy hair, and fake-blood dripping on her face! My Aunt Louella decides to be a werewolf that year as she made her costume with old wigs and you could not see anything but her eyes and mouth. (In later years, my aunt dressed as a skull face which was awesome-she did it herself.) My Uncle Joe dressed up as the Incredible Hulk! And, my Aunt Cindy dressed up like a witch. I know others had costumes, but I can’t remember exactly what they were dressed as. But, my family put the spook-house together in a classroom and scared the daylights out of all the kids!!! It was a great time and as my mom mentioned, it became a tradition and lasted for many years…

It also led into a tradition of making sure we visit a spook-house every year… and we have been to some great haunted houses over the years, which will be saved for future post! :)

I'm hoping my mom will send me a pic of my childhood spook-thrill, but until then I thought I would share these pics of Jayce as a MUMMY...

Jayce had his own experience of rolling around his costume in the dirt!


Jayce was already playing the part while we were preparing his costume.


000000hhh SCARY!!!