Friday, March 13, 2009

Art Appreciation

I’m behind in my blogging so I thought I would spend a little time and catch up. We have been extremely busy. In addition, this past week we were each battling with a flu bug of some sort. Everyone is feeling better and getting into our usual swing of things.

Beforehand, I was volunteering at the elementary school and they had this well known Italian sculpture visit the art classroom. He helped the 5th grade students by carving their initials in cut pieces of wood. The students really seemed to enjoy themselves. I’ve included a few pictures of his work.


As you can see in the photo above, there was a plethora of dust particles in the air. The picture below is a much clearer shot of him getting ready to chisel the wood.

He spent a total of 6 hours behind that bench chiseling the initials of each of the students into their own pieces of wood.



His artwork is not cheap. If I remember correctly, I believe he mentioned to a faculty member that this piece alone would cost over 6,000 euro.

The art teacher set up this room for the lower grades to visit and get a glimpse of his talent.

He was a very kind hearted individual. I am glad that I had the opportunity to meet him.