Friday, September 12, 2008

Market Day In Mineo

Today Lana and I went to the market in Mineo; however, I am not a market type shopper. It’s fun to check it out and it is a great experience with the Italian culture, but I normally do not buy anything unless it is fresh produce and even then I am very picky. Phew- the smell of fish and seeing the chopped up fish parts and slimy eels is not for me.. Blah! I know it sounds un-Italian, but it’s not my style. So many people love it and buy tons of stuff. My reasons for going are because I enjoy walking around and interacting with the Italians. I love the atmosphere and architecture of the buildings and walking on the cobble stone roads. There are always so many people and they are extremely generous and friendly. Each of the towns is unique and has their own style. Also, each one has their markets on different days. Except for Catania, it offers the market every day of the week. The Catania market is HUGE! Usually the markets are located near the Centro (Center) of town and there are other stores to shop in and explore. These are the stores I love!! Not to mention really great bars to eat in! Today during our stroll, after I past the market area I could smell the fresh pizza baking.. It was great and so much better than the previous fish smell!! I stopped in at one of the bars and bought me a Sicilian Cannoli… mmm,mmm, good! Normally I get the chocolate, but today I had the ricotta cheese. It was delicious! After we finished our stroll through the Centro of town we came back home and Lana had sweet peas for lunch. I know she really wanted the Cannoli, but she has to wait awhile! LOL. Below are pictures of the market. ENJOY!