Sunday, September 21, 2008

Another Great Reason to Love Sicily

When you think of the Italian culture the first thing that comes to mind is the great Italian food. Secondly, the craftsmanship of beautiful pieces of furniture, clothing, and pottery. Well, I finally had the opportunity to see an Italian pottery factory firsthand. Last Thursday a friend and I went to the Caleca Pottery Factory. It was magnificent. There were stacks and stacks of striking pottery everywhere! It took about 2 hours to get there, but very much worth it. Inside the factory we watched how the pottery is made and dried as well as a small group of individuals’ hand painting the ceramics. The company is a bit unique because they also do the pieces selected for Williams and Sonoma. I bought me a wonderful set to start off with. I’m looking forward to returning to the factory and buying more pieces to build on. Below are some pictures of the factory.

The factory is HUGE!



The pieces are darker gray because they have not dried yet.
These pieces are ready to be painted.
It's amazing that these ladies hand paint all the pieces!!


There are so many rows and rows of dishes.
So many stacks and stacks...It just keeps going...

and going....


and going....


Finally home and unpacking the boxes!


These are the pieces I selected to begin my collection with. I had so much fun arranging the cabinets’ to fit all the new dishes.